You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My i-mac will not do anything but flash question mark folder, can't do anything. Also, can we do a backup in this condition and how?

question mark only, will not do anything else. Can we do a backup in this condition?

Can you help?

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 7:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 7:38 AM

See ➡️ If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

It may or may not be possible to recover data, depending on what happened here.

Backups best happen before data loss, theft, damage, corruptions, or other errrors.

4 replies

Aug 16, 2021 7:57 AM in response to OTFC

That means the computer cannot find the startup volume. Please follow the steps in the link provided. If it still won't start then please take the computer to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to be repaired. Are you telling us, you were not backing up the computer prior to it's failure, if so then you are likely going to learn a very painful lesson on my backing up every computer a minimum of 1x a day is critical.

At a very bare minimum you should be using Time Machine, Back up your Mac with Time Machine which will only require an External Hard Disk such as a OWC Mercury Elite Pro. It's too late now, assuming I am correct but once you get the computer running then please begin using Time Machine!!!!

Aug 16, 2021 7:57 AM in response to OTFC

OTFC wrote:

Hi, The folder with question mark stays on always and won't do anything else. It is not momentarily

You have an iMac that starts up to an error.

The error here is a question-mark-folder icon.

The question-mark-folder icon means there is no bootable system present.

The startup then ceases at the question-mark-folder icon.

Because there is nothing to start.

You cannot get the iMac to complete the startup.

Potential causes of this can range from a repairable corruption, to a catastrophic storage hardware failure with complete data loss.

Further complicating this, you have no backups.

To learn what to do next to try to get the Mac to start, click or tap on the following blue-text hyperlink ➡️ If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

My i-mac will not do anything but flash question mark folder, can't do anything. Also, can we do a backup in this condition and how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.