You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

manually show Mail

Mail opens window automatically after login. Is there a way to turn that off? OS X Mojave

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 12:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 8:13 AM

EasyToUseIsEasyToSay wrote:

… If I simply dismiss Mail by clicking the Red X, then close laptop, laptop sleeps, then later open laptop and login to computer, Mail immediately opens in its window.

The red X doesn’t do what you think it does.

That control closes the window, but does not quit the app.

See this intro to those controls ➡️ Manage windows on Mac - Apple Support

If you’ve had experience with the Microsoft Windows window buttons, Mac works… differently.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 20, 2021 8:13 AM in response to EasyToUseIsEasyToSay

EasyToUseIsEasyToSay wrote:

… If I simply dismiss Mail by clicking the Red X, then close laptop, laptop sleeps, then later open laptop and login to computer, Mail immediately opens in its window.

The red X doesn’t do what you think it does.

That control closes the window, but does not quit the app.

See this intro to those controls ➡️ Manage windows on Mac - Apple Support

If you’ve had experience with the Microsoft Windows window buttons, Mac works… differently.

Aug 20, 2021 1:03 PM in response to EasyToUseIsEasyToSay

Quit the app when you want it gone. As for as why macOS Mail opens a new window when all windows are closed upon awakening, donno. I don’t usually get into the no-windows state with Mail. You can suggest that Apple tweak Mail to not do that when reawakening, or you can quit Mail and which makes this moot.

Product Feedback - Apple

Aug 20, 2021 11:27 AM in response to MrHoffman

Yes, thanks for that. Generally I close the Mail window, and very rarely quit the app.

I just wonder why Mail re-opens its window after the computer sleeps. None of the other apps, Excel, Word, Safari, Finder, TextEdit, Preview, do that. If I wish to use an app, I select from the dock, or the Launchpad, or open a document which opens the app.

manually show Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.