You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is a good replacement for an airport express 802.11n

My home wifi network has relied on a group of airport express 802.11ns controlled by an airport extreme of the same vintage. All has been well for many years but I have inserted a TP Link Archer A7 extender to reach a remote part of my home. All is well, as the A7 has set up its own address and things operate smoothly from there. My question is, what other small footprint extenders can I replace the express units with - there are three - and do it economically without disrupting the rest of the system?

Thoughts, anyone?

AirPort

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 8:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 3:54 PM

If you want a cheap way to expand your current setup without mesh then Airport Extreme .. either the Gen6 AC version which I am seeing on eBay here (Australia) down hugely in price.. some going for $60 or less. Or lots of the Gen5 A1408 for a couple of dollars. The Gen5 was the best of the older ones and has hugely better wifi than any express.

Let me also encourage you to think about getting the place wired if you own it.

Ethernet is hugely superior to wifi. Bob and I use ethernet to keep old routers running.. and it does a much better job.. and will continue to do so in the future. Wired ethernet to a couple of key locations around the house correctly installed is costly but will last for the life of the house so is a great investment.

Also let me add mesh like TP-Link Deco M5 is really cheap and very easy to setup.

They are well worth a look if you can find them in your part of the world.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2021 3:54 PM in response to Jarzoirmur

If you want a cheap way to expand your current setup without mesh then Airport Extreme .. either the Gen6 AC version which I am seeing on eBay here (Australia) down hugely in price.. some going for $60 or less. Or lots of the Gen5 A1408 for a couple of dollars. The Gen5 was the best of the older ones and has hugely better wifi than any express.

Let me also encourage you to think about getting the place wired if you own it.

Ethernet is hugely superior to wifi. Bob and I use ethernet to keep old routers running.. and it does a much better job.. and will continue to do so in the future. Wired ethernet to a couple of key locations around the house correctly installed is costly but will last for the life of the house so is a great investment.

Also let me add mesh like TP-Link Deco M5 is really cheap and very easy to setup.

They are well worth a look if you can find them in your part of the world.

Aug 19, 2021 5:44 AM in response to Jarzoirmur

It sounds like the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Expresses are all 6-7+ years old.....like older....so you really have a couple of options here.

If things are still working OK and you are not in a rush, go ahead and continue using the AirPorts for another year or so.

If you really want to replace the AirPort Expresses, it would not make sense to do so without also replacing the AirPort Extreme.......which is frankly out of date performance and security wise. Go with a new mesh system as LaPastenague recommends, which will far outperform an "extended" system like you have now.

When you install the new mesh system, you won't be using the TP-Link extender though, so you can sell it on Ebay or some other online site.

what is a good replacement for an airport express 802.11n

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.