You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to connect my Samsung monitor to my MacBook Pro- help

I have a MacBook Pro and a Samsung monitor - I have an adapter and an HDMI cable - why isn't the monitor showing up in my display settings?

Thanks,

Sharon

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 8:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 12:08 PM

I have this bottom adapter you pictured. You are confusing yourself - I know I only have USB-C ports on my laptop. I'm using that adapter you pictured (I use that adapter you pictured to connect my phone charging cord).

Help me connect my monitor and get it to work using this adapter you pictured and my HDMI cable. Please :)

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 27, 2021 12:08 PM in response to Phil0124

I have this bottom adapter you pictured. You are confusing yourself - I know I only have USB-C ports on my laptop. I'm using that adapter you pictured (I use that adapter you pictured to connect my phone charging cord).

Help me connect my monitor and get it to work using this adapter you pictured and my HDMI cable. Please :)

Aug 27, 2021 12:33 PM in response to Sharon1P

to get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences (from another display)

Aug 27, 2021 1:57 PM in response to Sharon1P

The second adapter pictured should work yes.

If you have an HDMI cable connected to the adapter and the monitor it should work.

As I said, make sure the input selection on the monitor is set for the HDMI port whatever it is.

Refer to the monitor's user manual for how to select the input: Samsung User Guide SE370 Series Monitor - Samsung.com

On your Mac, go to Apple Menu->System Preferences->Displays, and see if the monitor is being detected there.

Aug 20, 2021 7:47 AM in response to Phil0124

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB

Samsung - SE370 Series S24E370DL 23.6" LED FHD FreeSync Monitor

The HDMI cable and monitor were connected to my Mac mini - and worked fine. The adapter is the same one I use to plug in my iPhone and other stuff - happens to have an HDMI port, so I assume I can use it.

Thanks for any guidance!

Aug 20, 2021 8:11 AM in response to Sharon1P

Sharon1P wrote:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB
Samsung - SE370 Series S24E370DL 23.6" LED FHD FreeSync Monitor

The HDMI cable and monitor were connected to my Mac mini - and worked fine. The adapter is the same one I use to plug in my iPhone and other stuff - happens to have an HDMI port, so I assume I can use it.

Thanks for any guidance!

Your iPhone has a lightning port which your computer does not have, so not entirely sure where you are plugging an adapter that works with an iPhone through a lightning port into your Mac with USB-C based Thunderbolt ports?

Not the same thing, even if the connector may fit into the thunderbolt port, its not actually making a connection.

This: (Adaprter for iPhone and older iPads)

Is not the same as this: (adapter for Macs and newer iPads)

Aug 19, 2021 8:43 AM in response to Sharon1P

Very difficult to answer without any details.

What model / year of MacBook Pro do you have?

What adapter are you using exactly?

What specific model is the Samsung monitor?

What port on the Mac are you using?

Does the Monitor have input selection? If so, is it set to the correct input the Mac is connected to?

Provide some details about your setup, and maybe someone can advise on what may be wrong.

need to connect my Samsung monitor to my MacBook Pro- help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.