You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi, I am trying to connect my work laptop to an old imac 8,1 to use as a second monitor (Target Display Mode) but the Mini Display Port cable just purchased does not fit the port on the iMac - are 2008 models not compatible? Thanks

Hi,

I am trying to connect my work laptop to an old iMac 8,1 to use as a second monitor (Target Display Mode) I have read that this only works on the older iMacs and I still have an older OSX installed on it, but the Mini Display Port cable just purchased does not fit the Mini Display Port on the iMac 8,1

The new cable is smaller than the port on the back of the iMac but they both have the same icon 'Mini display port' icon printed one them. The Tech shop is telling me that there is only one size available??

It looks like I have a 2008 model so wondering if this function was only compatible from the 2009 models?

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 1:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 1:13 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

It is not possible to use that iMac a display. Sorry.

Cheers,

Jack

1 reply

Hi, I am trying to connect my work laptop to an old imac 8,1 to use as a second monitor (Target Display Mode) but the Mini Display Port cable just purchased does not fit the port on the iMac - are 2008 models not compatible? Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.