You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to factory reset our son's iPad in order to change personal details.

Our autistic son's care home has returned his iPad, because he kept messing up the settings and I've tried three times to factory reset in order to change personal details, but after the reset completes and I start to set up the iPad, it still asks me for our son's passcode and nobody has that code. We have his e-mail that's associated with the code, but not the actual code and the problem is that his care home doesn't have a record of that code either. I have my own Apple ID and email, but the demand during the setup process is for our son's email and passcode, because it was his machine. The snag with his care home is that they have a huge staff turnover, so whoever set up his Apple iPad has probably left the care home. Please could someone advise how to resolve this factory reset issue.

Many thanks for your kind assistance,

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 5:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 2:04 PM

You have run into the Activation Lock. It is a security feature. That iPad will continue to ask for the credentials that were used to set it up by the original owner (your son). Without those credentials, there is nothing that you can do to remove the Activation Lock.

If you have the original proof of purchase of the iPad then you can take that and the iPad to the Apple Store and see whether they can help you. It is worth a try. You may also contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2021 2:04 PM in response to aloiciuscrud

You have run into the Activation Lock. It is a security feature. That iPad will continue to ask for the credentials that were used to set it up by the original owner (your son). Without those credentials, there is nothing that you can do to remove the Activation Lock.

If you have the original proof of purchase of the iPad then you can take that and the iPad to the Apple Store and see whether they can help you. It is worth a try. You may also contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Aug 23, 2021 10:37 AM in response to Axel Foley

Hi Axel,

Many thanks for your reply. I'll try sending the same message to Apple support, as it seems such a waste to discard a machine because of it changing hands. Sadly, our son has severe learning difficulties and has virtually no language. In other words, other than short phrases, he can't understand what is said to him and doesn't have the ability to give a reply. Also, as the staff turnover is so frequent at his care home, individual carers wouldn't pass on things like details of equipment, toys, or games that he had, but thanks for your reply anyway.

Sincerely,

Richard Lyle (Paris Lyle's Father)

Unable to factory reset our son's iPad in order to change personal details.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.