You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup restoration asking for password, despite never setting a password.

I recently upgraded from my iPhone 7 to a 12. In preparation for this I backed up my old phone to iTunes on my new laptop. When I went to restore the backup to my new phone it says I need to enter a password for the backup. The only problem is I NEVER set a passcode for this backup. I was not prompted to do so, and I would have remembered doing so. (On top of this, had I set a password for this backup I always reuse a few passwords, so I would have eventually guessed the right one had I forgotten.) A few days before all this I tried to do an iCloud backup (twice) and each time the backup would fail, (this is another problem Apple should address), and I guess this backup saved my contacts and some (not all) of my messages and photos. How do I go about recovering this password? I don't have the old phone anymore as I traded it in and factory reset it, so I can't just do another, unencrypted backup. If anyone has any ideas please send them my way.

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 5:33 PM

2 replies

Backup restoration asking for password, despite never setting a password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.