You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions on an external hard drive

I set up an external hard drive on a previous laptop which I no longer have. It seems that I have set it so that that user is the only with read and write permissions. So from my mac it thinks I'm a user with read only permissions. I really want to be able to use the external hard drive properly, is there a way I can change the permissions from my Mac to get proper access to it and write files to it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 4:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 4:37 AM

On your present computer use Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL Attached devices. On left look for the Upper Most name of the External Drive ( example Western Digital ). Choose the Name of the External Drive and on right - choose to Erase the drive and format it as APFS / GUID Partition Map. This will Erase Everything on the drive and there is not recovery.

If the drive is to be used on both Apple and Windows computer - suggest formatting as exFat with Master Boot Record Partition Map. Apple can read and write to this file format as can Windows. Fat32 format is too fragile as a filing system and can not handle file sized larger than 4 GB wherein exFat does as better job on larger files.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 23, 2021 4:37 AM in response to hayessamuelj

On your present computer use Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL Attached devices. On left look for the Upper Most name of the External Drive ( example Western Digital ). Choose the Name of the External Drive and on right - choose to Erase the drive and format it as APFS / GUID Partition Map. This will Erase Everything on the drive and there is not recovery.

If the drive is to be used on both Apple and Windows computer - suggest formatting as exFat with Master Boot Record Partition Map. Apple can read and write to this file format as can Windows. Fat32 format is too fragile as a filing system and can not handle file sized larger than 4 GB wherein exFat does as better job on larger files.

Aug 23, 2021 5:29 AM in response to hayessamuelj

It depends. Select the Disk in Finder and Get Info (cmd-I).

If the Format is NTFS, macOS can only read that format. You probably installed software that allows writing. I would move everything off of it, format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then move everything back.

If it already is Mac OS Extended, click the padlock at the bottom of the Info pane to authenticate, then check the box to ignore ownership.

Permissions on an external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.