You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine stops backing up after alert: " some files cannot be copied"

My Time Machine will back up most of my data until running into an alert that "some files cannot be copied" then it stops without completing the back up. Is there a way to identify these files it cannot copy?

Thanks for your help

Mac mini, macOS 11.3

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 9:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 10:38 AM

Not that I know of. But you might try booting into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and run First Aid on your data volume. If you get any errors rerun First Aid till you don't. Then reboot normally and start a fresh TM backup. See if that will get thru the problem.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2021 10:38 AM in response to moonspinner123

Not that I know of. But you might try booting into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and run First Aid on your data volume. If you get any errors rerun First Aid till you don't. Then reboot normally and start a fresh TM backup. See if that will get thru the problem.

Time Machine stops backing up after alert: " some files cannot be copied"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.