You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did spotlight in Catalina just start showing "Loading" for external drives?

New 2018 Mac Mini came pre-installed with Catalina (10.15.7). Already had issues with external SSD drives but could mostly put up with it. However, today it began showing "Loading..." when performing a spotlight search across multiple internal/external drives. I've only ever seen "Loading..." when I was searching a network computer.

Also having mucho problems with Logic Pro X randomly crashing—particularly opening projects (stored on external drives). No idea if these are related.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 11:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 7:52 PM

Try rebuilding spotlight index.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

You may also try rebooting into safe mode by restarting and holding down SHIFT while your Mac restarts. See if the problem persists, then restart.

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 26, 2021 8:20 AM in response to toastosxDC

Thanks. Spotlight mysteriously started working again...which isn't great because I still have no idea what caused it to fail.

I saw another recommendation for booting into safe mode, however, none of the external SSDs are available to view in safe mode so there's nothing left to test. All the external SSDs are in ExFAT format (inherited from an older system running High Sierra; too late to reformat), so I've had all kinds of permissions issues on Catalina that seem to affect all types of functions. Really restrictive.

Why did spotlight in Catalina just start showing "Loading" for external drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.