You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

500GB HDD.......302GB Used.......350GB Available?

I'm spring cleaning all my HDDs and SSDs to help FCP X run more efficiently.

My Mac mini has a 500GB HDD and as you can see it has 302GB Used and 350GB Available which doesn't add up.

I know that this is a peculiarity of the Mac system but I like things to look correct.

Is there any way to make the figures add up correctly?

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 10:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 9:09 PM

I have gotten the purgeable space to go away by copying a file from an external drive to the internal one. Once I realized that purgeable is meaningless I just ignore it. It is just surprising the first time you see it.

Similar questions

10 replies

Aug 27, 2021 1:18 AM in response to Larrie Easterly

Purgeable file can be a significant problem for pro users who often need to generate large files. If you’re short of drive space and try to do a large export, the export can fail because it looks at available space and doesn’t take purgeable space into account. You can’t reclaim it on demand. I’m not sure what can aside from the Finder itself.

500GB HDD.......302GB Used.......350GB Available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.