You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an iMac Retina 5K, 27" from 2017 host a newer M 1 Mini?

I have a 2017 iMac 27" still running Mojave [working on finding replacement for Aperture] and would like to get a new Mini, the M 1 - to boot to when desired or just to use mainly and keep the iMac with Aperture available. Not need to get a new Monitor, in other words. I gather I'd have to boot into the different OS each time I wanted to but that would be what I'd have to do, I suppose.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 11:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 11:53 AM

Hello, Victoria Herring.

Unfortunately, using the 2017 iMac 27" as a monitor for your new Mac mini is not an Apple supported option. Neither the hardware nor the macOS software support that feature. You're going to have to buy a monitor for the mini.

6 replies

Aug 27, 2021 11:55 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Fortunately I'm still shopping....thanks for the helpful info. I'll have to give some thought to how I can keep running Mojave/Aperture on one machine and transition to a newer one. Or, I suppose, I could put Mojave/Aperture on an external drive and boot off of that using the M 1 and Monitor??? Just trying to figure this out.

Aug 27, 2021 2:23 PM in response to Victoria Herring

Victoria Herring wrote:
.. Or, I suppose, I could put Mojave/Aperture on an external drive and boot off of that using the M 1 and Monitor??? Just trying to figure this out.

The M1 MacMini can only run Big Sur and newer versions of macOS. This is generally true for any Mac that it cannot run any OS older than what was installed when new. So, even if you got a new Intel iMac you cannot do what you want.

So, you have two options. Keep the old iMac so you can continue to use Aperture on it or finally move to some photography app that is current.

Aug 27, 2021 3:10 PM in response to woodmeister50

I know and intend to keep the iMac or move contents to another older Mini I have == the Q really is whether I can configure the iMac to do its thing but use the Mini [ and the iMac monitor?] to do its thing = and have it running except when I need to use the Aperture program [I do still need to export and transition and that's not quick even if I knew of a program which would meet my needs]= I guess the answer may be to just have 2 minis and a new monitor ? Save the iMac stuff needed to the older Mini [I have one from 2018-19] and use the newer one to boot to and have one monitor [if even possible?] and just 'get rid' of the iMac??? Trying to figure out how best to configure things.

Can an iMac Retina 5K, 27" from 2017 host a newer M 1 Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.