You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extended battery repair period for MacBook (13-inch, 2006-2010)?

According to this Apple Support article:

"Mac notebooks may be eligible for an extended battery-only repair period for up to 10 years from when the product was last distributed for sale, subject to parts availability."

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201624

How do you determine when the product was last distributed for sale? Thank you in advance.

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 6:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 8:09 PM

My guess is that Apple overlooked this information even for their service providers. Probably at this time the only way a service tech can figure it out is by attempting to create a battery repair for your laptop in the Apple service portal.

5 replies

Aug 27, 2021 6:48 PM in response to BookOfRevelation

I would only expect this new program to be available for currently supported products such as 2015+ or newer Macs. There is a possibility some older "Vintage" Macs may also be eligible such as MBPro 13" (mid 2012) or 2013-2014 Macs. I would not expect any currently obsolete Macs to have the extended battery support since production of those batteries have been discontinued for years now. It would have been nice if Apple had bothered to mention which models the extended battery support covers.

You can contact Apple support, an Apple Store, or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to see if they have a definitive answer.

Edit: You can try using the MacTracker app which I believe lists such information as well as the current status of the various model Macs among a wealth of other information.

https://mactracker.ca/

Aug 28, 2021 9:57 AM in response to BookOfRevelation

It is a late 2006 black polycarbonate MacBook that is obsolete. This was my first Mac product. I never knew they became outdated so fast. I was shocked that about 4-5 years later, I was told at the Apple store that I would have to pay $100 to get the keyboard replaced, then $100 for the Snow Leopard OS X installation DVDs. They said I could trade in the MacBook for a $100 gift card toward another Apple product. They had the silver MacBook Air that was thinner and lighter. A $100 gift card would not go far in purchasing a modern MacBook.

I always used the MacBook plugged in at home, so I don't know if the battery ever worked. The battery is dead. You can't do much with a late 2006 MacBook that has 1 GB of RAM. You would have to update all the hardware to keep up with modern computers.

Extended battery repair period for MacBook (13-inch, 2006-2010)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.