You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dolby Atmos not working when using aux cable or third part wired earbuds

Dolby Atmos in Apple Music no longer works while my phone is plugged into an aux cable or wired earbuds that are not designed by Apple. It only works when I use Apple equipment like AirPods. This issue began after I updated my phone to iOS 14.7. I don’t know if this might be a bug within the iOS update that Apple needs to fix or something else. Please help

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 7:13 PM

14 replies

Sep 15, 2021 8:37 AM in response to hcsitas

Fact is the Apple has introduced Dolby Athmos in  Music for ALL HEADPHONES on indicated IOS devices (option “always on” for Dolby Athmos in Settings-Apple Music.

This worked well until IOS 14.7.1. was released.

Excluding all other headphones than Apple Airpods from Dolby Athmos on IOS devices with 14.7.1. is a BUG and should be fixed asap

[Edited by Moderator] 

Sep 15, 2021 10:05 AM in response to Gaucho777

No, they’ve said you can listen to Atmos tracks on all headphones, which is correct. What you’re referring to is the treatment of Atmos tracks by the headphone. That is obviously headphone dependent, not all headphones. The indication tells you when the headphones are playing Atmos ball. Pre 14.7.1, if it was giving the all clear for all headphones, that was a bug, now fixed. It’s no longer doing that, which makes sense.

I do understand your disappointment and agree the description can be misleading. As for the tech, it is what it is. Sorry!

Sep 16, 2021 2:02 PM in response to hcsitas

Interesting topic. I do agree that the documentation was misleading, although I do find it honorable to make the tech more consistent as Dolby Atmos badge led the typical Apple user to believe he is listening to 3D Audio, since these two are imho too intertwined. And that without talking about the Spacial audio coming to Music to…

Thank you hcsistas, but following your explanations, there are „other headphones“ that worked in Dolby Atmos and some don’t? 

And iOS14.7.1 detects those other (not) working headphones and is therefore (not?) displaying the Dolby Atmos badge?

Sounds very well engineered if at all possible. I do have difficulties believing it. On iOS 14.6 I could force Atmos to my Sony XM3s, which sounded bad and of course nothing close to 3D Audio either. So they obviously did something with it by interpreting it differently than Stereo, but nothing worth listening to.

So that is why Apple decided to not push the Atmos signal to such non compatible headphones, despite the always on setting? Don’t think that’s a lot more intuitive and user friendly than in 14.6 and I agree that both marketing, support docs and toggle in the settings should be clarified. To just state “listen to it on ANY headphone” means it plays but is than of course not Atmos in the end, ouch.

Is there a list of “Dolby Atmos compatible non headphones” available?

Are users following, who can confirm that they are using non headphones with Dolby Atmos on iPhone/iPad and 14.7.1 and on?

Sep 16, 2021 9:23 PM in response to sunnymtx

That’s correct, the badge depends on digital feedback from the headphone on how it’s treating the Apple Atmos stream. It wasn’t previously, giving a false 👍, but that’s since been corrected. Note that the signal is pushed irrespective to all (any) headphones, and will play in all cases but the audio quality will obviously vary and the badge won’t show. Hence the setting (as you have suggested): if the user knows or finds out the headphone isn’t compatible, Atmos can be turned off/set to auto.

As for Atmos-compatible headphones, all non-Apple headphones IMO should be assumed incompatible unless proven otherwise or confirmed independently by the headphone manufacturer (not Apple). In other words, the non-Apple guys need to upgrade their firmware to support Apple’s Atmos badge protocol, then test and update their literature accordingly. That’ll take time, obviously, and in some cases not happen at all.

Lossless doesn’t have these issues as it’s one way delivery with no handshakes/custom protocol. Which means it’ll work lossless end to end, don’t need statements from anyone. Lossless, it could also be argued, is the real thing, especially if the original recording wasn’t Atmos (i.e. almost all but the latest music). Many audiophiles actually want that instead of post-processed music.

Let’s summarize: If your headphone is non-Apple and Atmos doesn’t work to your satisfaction, switching to Lossless is IMO, the best course of action.

Oct 11, 2021 2:23 PM in response to hcsitas

i don’t see the words orgasmic or sounds awesome in any of that mumbo jumbo! I’m just assuming by experiencing it that the speaker cones vibrate 360° and probably need headphones made for Dolby Atmos to get spatial stuff but I assume Apple doesn’t want to discriminate and says it works because there’s a sound quality enhancement as well as spatial stuff. It’s a sound quality you’d get and it probably should work, like they said, for all. It defaults to stereo, no matter “always on” or “automatic” if the device isn’t compatible such as car speakers and home speakers. Headphones should get the better quality. Both versions, Dolby and stereo, stream and download.

Dolby Atmos not working when using aux cable or third part wired earbuds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.