You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages are removed from inbox

Hello,

Recently apple mail has started removing some personal and work emails (both are gmail accounts) from my inboxes and placing them into the important mail folders. It seems to select messages based on criteria unbeknown to me and labels them "important". Too make it even more confusing some of the messages appear in both the "inbox" and the "important" mail but not in the "all mail" folder. I have tried to reconfigure account settings in Google to solve the issue, but it does not seem to make any difference. Please help. At this point between my two email addresses, I have to check 6 locations to find all my mail and its very hard to keep track of what I have answered/where the responses end up.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 4:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 2:43 PM

I meant to respond earlier. Thank you for the help! My inbox is now receiving mail again. Even though I still have no idea why Google all of a sudden began sorting and filing my mail differently, this is a good fix. Thanks again!

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 31, 2021 8:38 PM in response to cturpaud9

Re-read the link, there's an option to completely reset the Important settings and start fresh. Click on the "Don't use past actions to predict which emails are important". That should turn off the feature where Google is attempting to decipher what is important by analyzing your email both incoming and outgoing. Then you get to flag things as Important manually.

When Gmail reads your email it figures out what is important and tags those emails. It's looking at the words you use and the words in email you receive and making word associations. It is constantly learning about you every day. It calculates connections between you and others and topics of interest, etc. It's using artificial intelligence and machine learning to determine what is important to you personally.

Email tagged as important is then filtered into that Important folder. It's not really a folder, it's more like a database query. Gmail doesn't really do IMAP in the traditional sense, it is database backed email. Gmail can talk IMAP (mostly) and Apple Mail reads the IMAP protocol. But there are all sorts of reasons why Gmail will experience bizarre behavior if you treat it like a traditional IMAP email server. If you were to say try to migrate to another email provider and you dragged and dropped stuff in Gmail to get it into a desired folder structure you could end up with everything in one folder. This is because Gmail folders are not actually folders. Literally, it's faking IMAP. You will have a better user experience if you use Gmail in a browser rather than any other IMAP application such as Apple Mail. Or you could choose a different email provider besides Google. It's your choice.

Sep 1, 2021 8:52 AM in response to James Brickley

Unmarking the emails that gmail deems "important" has done nothing to retrain Google. After unmarking every single email in my inbox (literally thousands) and resetting gmail to make sure it does not use previous actions to predict which emails are important there was no difference, it just keeps marking 95% of my emails as important and moving them regardless of whether I ever read emails from certain senders or not. This morning a new batch of emails appeared that were marked as important. I received 3 emails to my primary work inbox, 3 other emails to important and 5 to all mail. Some of the emails going to important are actually important but others are basically glorified junk mail that I always delete as soon as I see them. Why are these being placed with my important emails if I only ever delete them? If google is supposedly "learning" about my habits and responding in kind why is it sending all of these emails to another inbox and keeping some of my actually important and urgent emails where I want them, which is in my primary inbox? As I have read other posts related to this same issue I have found no other solutions other than changing the settings for importance markers. Is there anything else I can try?

Messages are removed from inbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.