You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard cover

Hello! I recently got a keyboard cover for my MacBook Air m1. I heard it’s bad to close the laptop with the keyboard cover still intact, but I accidentally did that around 3 or 4 times. Each time that happened, however, I quickly opened the laptop and took the cover out as soon as I remembered that the cover was still intact. That said, will this in any way still damage the screen?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 8:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 8:31 AM

Clam_Chowder123 wrote:

Oh alright. Thank you so much!! Your help is much appreciated :)

The advice provided by Deezeemoose is completely in opposition to Apple's recommendation/instructions.

Using a camera cover, palm rest, or keyboard cover on a Mac notebook - Apple Support

6 replies

Aug 31, 2021 11:03 PM in response to Clam_Chowder123

Clam_Chowder123 Said:

"keyboard cover: oh okay, but will it immediately damage my screen? It’s only happened 3 to 4 times and lasted for only seconds each time. As of now, I don’t see any damages but yeah. Thank you so much for your help!"

-------

You are welcome.

No. It will not immediately damage it. But if you leave your screen closed with the keyboard cover on it, it will create condensation.

Aug 31, 2021 9:07 PM in response to Clam_Chowder123

Clam_Chowder123 Said:

"keyboard cover: Hello! I recently got a keyboard cover for my MacBook Air m1. I heard it’s bad to close the laptop with the keyboard cover still intact, but I accidentally did that around 3 or 4 times. Each time that happened, however, I quickly opened the laptop and took the cover out as soon as I remembered that the cover was still intact. That said, will this in any way still damage the screen?"

-------

Will it Damage the Screen?

Yes. It will damage the screen, along with the LogicBoard. This is due to condensation. So, do not use one.

Aug 31, 2021 9:40 PM in response to Clam_Chowder123

It sounds like you are very careful that is good! Helps keep your Mac running well for a very long time! So to answer your question, you are fine to close it, the force of closing the lid is evenly distributed among the whole cover. The bezel(edge) of your screen is completely fine due to the little rubber strip around the side.

In fact it actually makes the pressure MORE even! Just look at the Mac from the side with the lid closed if you want to see for yourself!

Have a great rest of your day and happy Macintoshing

keyboard cover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.