You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop and Documents missing from iCloud Drive Options, how to sync iCloud Drive files to MacBook?

I just got set up as new standard user on my husband’s MacBook Air (11-inch Early 2015), it is currently running OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6.

I want to download & sync the files from my iCloud Drive to the MacBook.

When I go into the MacBook settings, iCloud, then iCloud Drive options, there is no Desktop and Documents listed at all to toggle on or off. I tried logging out and logging back in, turning off iCloud Drive and turning it back on restarting the MacBook but it just won’t show up.

I logged into my iCloud account through Safari thinking I could download the files from there, but it won’t let me. The download button is grayed out and I can’t drag the folders from there to the MacBook’s desktop.

Why is this so hard? I have not been able to find a solution online. Does anyone know how to make this work? Thank you kindly.

The files I have stored in my iCloud Drive have all been created & edited primarily from various iPads & iPhones.

Nursing Student

MacBook Air 11″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 10:26 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 4, 2021 11:23 PM in response to gracegsx

You have created a standard account in users and groups Set up users, guests and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Standard users are set up by an administrator. Standard users can install apps and change their own settings, but can’t add other users or change other users’ settings — those functions are reserved for an administrator.

If the administrator has checked the box of allow user to administer this computer , if you log out Mac primary admin account and then sign in with your standard user account in this example screen shot its " why " when new standard user account was in creating process it acts as an admin account and in upcoming steps a pop up window appears all your files and photos in icloud .

( 1 ) store files from documents and desktop in icloud drive .

( 2 ) Store photos and videos in iCloud photos .

Even you uncheck the box for first option , the iCloud Drive sets up and desktops and documents box is unchecked , click on it will show setting up and finally get checked .

In your case if it is greyed out it means some thing is wrong , erase the hard drive and reinstall Mac OS .

Desktop and Documents missing from iCloud Drive Options, how to sync iCloud Drive files to MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.