You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra - Install app by unknown publisher?

Recent upgrade to High Sierra from El Capitan. Tried to install a very interesting screen capture app found on MacUpdate. Checked at the App Store; not available there. Tried to install it from the publisher download. Discovered that the option to override System Preferences seems to be gone. What's the story? Has Apple decided I can't be trusted to choose software for my own computer? Or am I missing another path to installing "unknown publisher" software?

El Capitan allows me to override 'my' security settings in the System Prefs. I can understand, and don't mind, that Apple might plant an obstacle in my path, to encourage second thoughts about what I'm about to install. Blocking the path entirely means 'my' Security settings are no longer 'mine'. By my lights, a huge step too far.

PS: I'm trying to do this, in part, because it appears that the "Grab" Utility only writes "tiff" files. I am looking for an app that lets me choose output formats within the app. I've had several episodes, recently, of trying to troubleshoot problems at support web sites that don't accept "tiff" files. The chosen app also has other attributes.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 5, 2021 10:35 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 6, 2021 2:36 PM in response to contrawise

I'm still interested in knowing about my initial question. Any path to overriding the truncated System Preferences so I can install apps of my choice? [One more reason for sticking with a Mac running El Capitan.]

I guess I don't understand where you're getting hung up on that point... Rifght clicking on the App & choosing Open doesn't work?

How to Change the Default Screenshot Save Location in macOS High Sierra or Earlier

1. Open Terminal. You can find the Terminal app in the Utilities folder.
  2. Type the following command, followed by a space:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location
  1. Note: Make sure to put a space after the word location, otherwise the command won’t work.
  2. Drag the folder you want to save to into the Terminal command box. You will see that the file path will now be inserted as another command line in Terminal.
  3. Press Enter on your keyboard.
  4. Then type the following command:
killall SystemUIServer
  1. Press Enter or Return. The next time you take a screenshot, it will be saved to the new folder you have created instead of the desktop.

How to Change a Screenshot to JPG and Other File Formats

By default, Macs save screenshots as PNG files, which are usually larger than JPG files. Both can be used for social media, but JPGs are more universally accepted. To save a screenshot as a JPG, use the Terminal to override the default format setting.

1. Open Terminal.
  2. Type the following command, followed by a space:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg

You can also choose to save your screenshots as other formats by default. You can save them as PDF files if you want to edit or open the image in Adobe. You can save them as TIFF files if you want to retain their original image data even after manipulating the image. Or you can save them as GIF files if you want the image to load quickly on the web. Just choose any of the following commands, followed by a space:defaults write com.apple.screencapture type pdf
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type tiff
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type gif
  1. Note: Make sure to put a space after the file type, otherwise the command won’t work.
  2. Hit Enter. The command will be saved to Terminal.
  3. Test to see if the default option has been changed. Take a screenshot then right-click on the image. Choose Get Info from the contextual menu, then check what is written under “Kind” in the General section.

Once you know how to change the default screenshot settings on your Mac, you’ll be able to customize and improve the way you work with screenshots. Taking a screenshot on a Mac also takes some getting used to, especially for Windows users who are used to hitting the Print Screen key. If you need to improve your screenshot skills, check out our article about how to take a screenshot on a Mac.

How to Change Where Screenshots Are Saved on Mac : HelloTech How

Sep 6, 2021 2:07 PM in response to BDAqua

Many thanks for your reply, and the article.

This may all be happening because I'm using versions of Grab from older OSs. Because I'm still using those OSs. El Capitan and High Sierra versions don't seem to have the features shown in your response. There's no export menu that I can find. When I save the file, I can select a location - but see no method for changing format type. I

I'm stuck in time on one machine because of legacy software. Also a Mac Pro, that is limited to High Sierra, I believe. Even on my everyday laptop, my experience from Mavericks, onward, was quite unhappy. So I've retreated.

I'm still interested in knowing about my initial question. Any path to overriding the truncated System Preferences so I can install apps of my choice? [One more reason for sticking with a Mac running El Capitan.]

Sep 7, 2021 11:32 AM in response to BDAqua

It took me a while to figure out why right-clicking on the app didn't show the word "Open" anywhere. It tuns out that Grab was not quitting when I commanded it to. And unless it's not running when it's right-clicked, Open does not appear. I force quit the app. Then, Open appeared when I right-clicked it. I re-started the Mac, and Grab now quits properly. However, Grab doesn't seem to have any different attributes when I start it with a right-click, than it does when started with a vanilla-click. Also true for starting it with the Control key depressed. Seems to be the same app in all three circumstances. What should I be looking for that require a right-click?

High Sierra - Install app by unknown publisher?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.