You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tranferring files to new Imac

I'm getting a new 2021 Imac. My current Imac is the early 2009 model. How do I transfer my files on to the new Imac?

iMac, 10.11

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 11:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 12:57 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

The best way is to create a Time Machine backup, then restore that backup following these steps: Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant - Apple Community.

For Time Machine, you need an external hard drive. Apple sells external hard drives, such as the LaCie Rugged USB-C + USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Apple. Regardless of which drive you choose, it needs to be formatted. Follow these steps:

1. Go to Disk Utility (Finder > Go > Utilities)
  2. In Disk Utility, select “View” > “Show All Devices”.
  3. Select the top and non-indented drive in the external section of Disk Utility that matches the name of your external drive. 
  4. Click Erase
  5. Name: any name you want
  6. Format: Use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if you are using macOS Catalina or earlier, or APFS if you are using macOS Big Sur.
  7. Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  8. Click Erase

Finally, setup Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Cheers,

Jack

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 8, 2021 12:57 AM in response to davidjohansenfan

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

The best way is to create a Time Machine backup, then restore that backup following these steps: Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant - Apple Community.

For Time Machine, you need an external hard drive. Apple sells external hard drives, such as the LaCie Rugged USB-C + USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Apple. Regardless of which drive you choose, it needs to be formatted. Follow these steps:

1. Go to Disk Utility (Finder > Go > Utilities)
  2. In Disk Utility, select “View” > “Show All Devices”.
  3. Select the top and non-indented drive in the external section of Disk Utility that matches the name of your external drive. 
  4. Click Erase
  5. Name: any name you want
  6. Format: Use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if you are using macOS Catalina or earlier, or APFS if you are using macOS Big Sur.
  7. Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  8. Click Erase

Finally, setup Time Machine: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Cheers,

Jack

Sep 8, 2021 8:58 AM in response to davidjohansenfan

Very simple, please follow the steps in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant. If your old Mac does not have a Time Machine backup then please create one. You can use the same EHD for backing up the new computer. I'd suggest getting a OWC Mercury Elite Pro for backup and if necessary another for additional external storage. These EHDs are what most experienced users on these forums use due to their high reliability, great price and the vendor only sells products designed for Macs.

Sep 8, 2021 8:37 AM in response to Jack-19

Thanks, Jack! Fabulous info!! I'm currently backing up, as instructed. It's going to take 6 more hours. Is there a way to tell if there are corrupt files on the backup? My old Mac might have been hacked a couple of weeks ago. It started acting strange, and since then, it's been painfully slow. I don't want to transfer bad files to my new Imac.

Tranferring files to new Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.