You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari opens a new tab each time I click a new link

I want to know how to fix this issue, especially after unchecking the box in the tabs preferences named:

"when a new tab or window opens, make it active". Any help is greatly appreciated this is extremely annoying and time consuming.

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 4:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 6:54 AM

Hi,

I wanted to revert back to opening a link on the same tab as the one I would start the search, as an example. In other words, opening an new tab for each link is NOT desired in my case. I had gathered , from previous posts, that unchecking the option I mention in my first post would resolve the issue however it did not. I have also checked google preferences and there was no indication that those preferences were tailored to open a new tab at each link. So again just to sum up I do not want to open links in a new tab instead on the tab I initially began the search.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2021 6:54 AM in response to destiny241

Hi,

I wanted to revert back to opening a link on the same tab as the one I would start the search, as an example. In other words, opening an new tab for each link is NOT desired in my case. I had gathered , from previous posts, that unchecking the option I mention in my first post would resolve the issue however it did not. I have also checked google preferences and there was no indication that those preferences were tailored to open a new tab at each link. So again just to sum up I do not want to open links in a new tab instead on the tab I initially began the search.

Sep 9, 2021 5:51 AM in response to sul37

Hello Sul37,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, Safari opens new tabs for each link you select. We'll do our best to assist.

Selecting, 'When a new tab or window opens, make it active' should open the window in a new tab in the forefront: Change Tabs preferences in Safari on Mac

What are you trying to achieve exactly? It is expected behavior for Safari to open any link you select in a new tab.

Are you wanting to change the browser?

Or open the links in new windows instead?

Hoping this helps out, take care!

Sep 10, 2021 7:40 AM in response to sul37

Hi Sul37,

It sounds like you don't want Safari to open a new tab or window when you select a link.

The only option you'd have is to open these links within a tab or a new window within the Safari app, as suggested in the above resource.

If you were hoping for other options, it might be best to provide feedback: Product Feedback

Wishing you the best, take care.

Safari opens a new tab each time I click a new link

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.