You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Links from emails

This happened before and I don’t remember how it was resolved. When I click a link in an email it opens as a small split screen instead of full screen which I need. So frustrating!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 10:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 10:38 AM

Perhaps you have enabled a Slide Over or Split view.

You can easily manage and manipulate Split and Slide Over views on your iPad. To change a Split view to full screen, place your finger one the centre of the central divider (you’ll see a little grey drag bar) and drag the divider to the edge of the screen - then release; your split-screen view will become full-screen.

You can manipulate other screen views in a similar way. To transform a Slide Over view, to Split Screen, use the grey drag-bar at the top of the Slide Over Window; drag downwards and to towards the side of the screen. As the view changes, lift your finger.

You can also change a Slide Over to a Full Screen view. This time, using the same drag-bar, drag to the top-centre of the screen, then release.

You may find these overview Apple video guides to be helpful:

After viewing, you’ll be ready for the additional Multitasking Guide:

Use Multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide for iPadOS is also a rich source of information. Here are links to both the downloadable and online versions of the Guide:

‎iPad User Guide on Apple Books

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

I hope this explanation and additional information is helpful in resolving any difficulties you may be having with Multitasking features of your iPad.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 8, 2021 10:38 AM in response to Athome53

Perhaps you have enabled a Slide Over or Split view.

You can easily manage and manipulate Split and Slide Over views on your iPad. To change a Split view to full screen, place your finger one the centre of the central divider (you’ll see a little grey drag bar) and drag the divider to the edge of the screen - then release; your split-screen view will become full-screen.

You can manipulate other screen views in a similar way. To transform a Slide Over view, to Split Screen, use the grey drag-bar at the top of the Slide Over Window; drag downwards and to towards the side of the screen. As the view changes, lift your finger.

You can also change a Slide Over to a Full Screen view. This time, using the same drag-bar, drag to the top-centre of the screen, then release.

You may find these overview Apple video guides to be helpful:

After viewing, you’ll be ready for the additional Multitasking Guide:

Use Multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide for iPadOS is also a rich source of information. Here are links to both the downloadable and online versions of the Guide:

‎iPad User Guide on Apple Books

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

I hope this explanation and additional information is helpful in resolving any difficulties you may be having with Multitasking features of your iPad.

Sep 13, 2021 7:03 AM in response to Athome53

Hi. Just a few days ago I posted asking about the same problem but relating to my Mojave 27" iMac. The Youtube videos above relate to Apps..it says to go to the App in the dock but as with me, your problem is a link from an Email. I can't find my question now but after two days there was no answer. I changed Safari settings and iMac settings to match those of a friend's Mac Mail and Safari because he doesn't have the problem but to no avail. I get the right page for the link but a new Safari page sits alongside. I can't recall why I did this but by clicking on the System Preferences icon in the Dock the split was removed but went back to the Email. I then had to close the System Pref. window that showed.

I've just tried five other Emails with links attached 4 with Youtube one with just information and they work fine. Could it be that there's something amiss in a specific link /url. ? The bad news is that it opened ok on my neighbour's iMac.

Links from emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.