You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My spouse and I have oth hers and my phone on the same Apple ID. This causes issues with emails and phone calls to each other. How do I change my Apple ID but not changing her Apple ID at the same time?

My spouse and I have hers and my phone on the same Apple ID( with separate cell numbers )This causes issues with emails and phone calls to each other. How do I change my Apple ID but not change her Apple ID at the same time?

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 11:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 12:00 PM

Indeed an Apple ID should never be shared, as you now realize.

Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Obtain a new Apple ID for one of you. Let’s say you get it for your spouse. Here’s how: How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support
  2. Thoroughly cleanse your spouse’s iPhone and any other Apple devices (s)he may own that are signed in with the wrong Apple ID. What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  3. Your spouse then “moves in” to her/his like-new (software-wise) iPhone using only items enrolled under her/his Apple ID.
  4. Family Sharing may then be instituted if you wish. Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2021 12:00 PM in response to JimYar

Indeed an Apple ID should never be shared, as you now realize.

Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Obtain a new Apple ID for one of you. Let’s say you get it for your spouse. Here’s how: How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support
  2. Thoroughly cleanse your spouse’s iPhone and any other Apple devices (s)he may own that are signed in with the wrong Apple ID. What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  3. Your spouse then “moves in” to her/his like-new (software-wise) iPhone using only items enrolled under her/his Apple ID.
  4. Family Sharing may then be instituted if you wish. Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

My spouse and I have oth hers and my phone on the same Apple ID. This causes issues with emails and phone calls to each other. How do I change my Apple ID but not changing her Apple ID at the same time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.