You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macos big sur stuck at 12.44GB installation

hey everyone, i've been trying to download big sur but it stays stuck at 12.44GB and refuses to move, although my storage keeps dropping. this is about the 10th time i've tried to install big sur, and nothing it happening. for context, i'm still on mojave. should i just reinstall mojave in recovery mode so i don't have to deal with this? i lost all of my storage trying to install big sur. i would love for it to actually upgrade though. :(

if there is any way to delete big sur files that are already installed, please someone let me know!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 1:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 1:36 PM

Boot into Safe Mode and try the upgrade and its associated download there.

Safe Mode rebuilds caches, deletes temporary files, and temporarily disables some of the more pernicious add-on apps.

You’re also ~completely out of free storage.

App and system upgrades tend to require more storage.

And require room to unpack the download.

I’d always expect the 120 GB configuration to require management of storage,

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 11, 2021 1:36 PM in response to piabambina

Boot into Safe Mode and try the upgrade and its associated download there.

Safe Mode rebuilds caches, deletes temporary files, and temporarily disables some of the more pernicious add-on apps.

You’re also ~completely out of free storage.

App and system upgrades tend to require more storage.

And require room to unpack the download.

I’d always expect the 120 GB configuration to require management of storage,

Sep 11, 2021 1:54 PM in response to piabambina

Attempting to install Big Sur several time without first checking the Application Folder for an incomplete Application called Install Big Sur is going to eat space and maybe even fail to work at all. Especially on a very small 128 GB internal drive.

Apple clearly states " If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade."

macos big sur stuck at 12.44GB installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.