You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When my iPhone was stolen, should I remotely erase my device or Mark it as lost ?

When my iPhone was stolen, should I remotely erase my device or Mark it as lost ?

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 6:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 9:19 AM

See the following from If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Remotely erase your device

After you erase a device, you can't track its location, so make sure that you no longer need to search for the device. If you have AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss, do not erase your iPhone until your claim has been approved.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2021 9:19 AM in response to jzge

See the following from If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Remotely erase your device

After you erase a device, you can't track its location, so make sure that you no longer need to search for the device. If you have AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss, do not erase your iPhone until your claim has been approved.

Sep 13, 2021 9:57 AM in response to jzge

As FoxFifth has mentioned, do not erase it. Instead, I suggest that you do, as a minimum the following:

• Mark it a lost. However, do not include any contact information.
  • Change your Apple ID password.
  • Report the theft to your local law enforcement agency.
  • Report the theft to your cellular provider.

Ref: Use Lost Mode in Find My iPhone on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.