You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update iPhone 8+ via iTunes on Windows 10 Home edition

Hi Everyone,

I have not been able to update my iPhone 8+ via iTunes(12.11.4.15 from Microsoft Store) on the latest Windows 10 Home edition(with full admin privileges) for a long time and always get ERROR 4000 and end up doing the update directly on the iPhone which dips into my bandwidth and data limit. However, I don't have this issue with my iPad connected to my iTunes and the updates work just fine.

I've reset my phone, I have 48GB free space on my iPhone. I've tried both the latest iTunes from Microsoft App Store and the stand-alone EXE binaries from Apple's website! Googling and also reading the Community's feedback regarding error 4000, I am not able to figure out why it's happening?! Help please!

Side Rant: I'm so ANNOYED when Apple says the update is only so many megabytes, like 326MB, if it is, why the heck does it download the entire 4.6GB ios all over each time?

Thanks

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 12:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 8:36 AM

Hi SiaSF,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It's our understanding that you're receiving an error message when trying to update your iPhone 8 Plus with a computer. Sounds like you've done a great job trying to get this fixed. We're here to help.

If you haven't already, please try the remaining steps in the following resource:

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Let us know the results. Does the issue occur when connected with a different cable? Do you continue to see error messages when connected to a different computer? Please include any other troubleshooting steps that you may have tried.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 14, 2021 8:36 AM in response to SiaSF

Hi SiaSF,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It's our understanding that you're receiving an error message when trying to update your iPhone 8 Plus with a computer. Sounds like you've done a great job trying to get this fixed. We're here to help.

If you haven't already, please try the remaining steps in the following resource:

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Let us know the results. Does the issue occur when connected with a different cable? Do you continue to see error messages when connected to a different computer? Please include any other troubleshooting steps that you may have tried.

Have a great day!

Sep 14, 2021 8:50 AM in response to JovonaP.

Hi Jovana,

Thanks for your reply. After googling some more, I realized that I was using the cable that shipped with my iPad Air2 for iPhone8+ too. I switched to the usb cable shipped with my iPhone8+ and the update to ios 14.8 was finally successful today. Are the cable properties or wiring really that different?

Thank you.

Unable to update iPhone 8+ via iTunes on Windows 10 Home edition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.