You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music

How can I import music from my old iPhone 5 to my new MacBook Air? Do I need a program ? I don't see Apple iTunes just the Music App. Very frustrated. Appreciate any help.

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 4:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 6:41 PM

Starting with Catalina, iTunes (on the Mac) became Music. The main difference is that you now sync your iPhone with the Mac using a Finder window rather than iTunes.

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Other than that nuance, Music is pretty much iTunes.

Syncing is designed to sync from the computer not the iPhone, not the other way around. Perhaps these articles will help;

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic.

The steps given below should help if your iTunes library is empty or missing content:

Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrad… - Apple Community

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2021 6:41 PM in response to kathrynfromchalfont

Starting with Catalina, iTunes (on the Mac) became Music. The main difference is that you now sync your iPhone with the Mac using a Finder window rather than iTunes.

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Other than that nuance, Music is pretty much iTunes.

Syncing is designed to sync from the computer not the iPhone, not the other way around. Perhaps these articles will help;

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic.

The steps given below should help if your iTunes library is empty or missing content:

Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrad… - Apple Community

Sep 15, 2021 5:42 PM in response to kathrynfromchalfont

kathrynfromchalfont wrote:

How can I import music from my old iPhone 5 to my new MacBook Air? Do I need a program ?

Yes, you need a third party program. The native iTunes and Music apps do not provide a way to move non-purchased content from the device to the computer. If you want to give it a try, check out this user tip by turingtest2: Recover your iTunes library from your iPo… - Apple Community

Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.