You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Aid report on iMac 21.5" 4K, 2019

After installing the external drive, OWX Envoy Pro SX, I ran First Aid on the Fusion Drive on my iMac. Context: sluggishness had been present. Per this Forum's suggestions, EtreCheck was run multiple times, as I "cleaned" till it seemed ready to install the SSD as an external drive.) First Aid revealed the Fusion drive "has failed".

Snapshots of those results are attached.

Question: do these point to taking the iMac to repair? Advice welcomed.!

Thank you!

iMac 21.5″, 11.6

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 11:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 7:57 AM

I am happy to report that "You did it!"...again! - thank you!

I read the first article: "How to Fix a split Fusion Drive", for information, knowledge of some kind. I had some reticence in trying that, given that yesterday I had "mounted" an external SSD to be used as "main" and "launch" from. So I liked the 2nd. article - "Dismount and mount". Tried twice, and both failed as per First Aid. But! the reports were "Volume can not be unmounted"..."Operation Failed". So, on the 3rd. time I ran First Aid after dismounting the disk, and that worked. The disk was checked :

"The volume /dev/rdisk4s1 appears to be OK.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as unmounted.

Operation successful."

I mounted the disk again.

Then I went to "About this Computer", "Storage" and there it was: the Fusion Drive was not divided!

Thank you so much!!! Appreciated!!!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2021 7:57 AM in response to Old Toad

I am happy to report that "You did it!"...again! - thank you!

I read the first article: "How to Fix a split Fusion Drive", for information, knowledge of some kind. I had some reticence in trying that, given that yesterday I had "mounted" an external SSD to be used as "main" and "launch" from. So I liked the 2nd. article - "Dismount and mount". Tried twice, and both failed as per First Aid. But! the reports were "Volume can not be unmounted"..."Operation Failed". So, on the 3rd. time I ran First Aid after dismounting the disk, and that worked. The disk was checked :

"The volume /dev/rdisk4s1 appears to be OK.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as unmounted.

Operation successful."

I mounted the disk again.

Then I went to "About this Computer", "Storage" and there it was: the Fusion Drive was not divided!

Thank you so much!!! Appreciated!!!

Sep 14, 2021 12:09 PM in response to Joseo

Given this is a Fusion Drive, I would look at this article first to see if your drive has "split."

How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Apple's incarnation of a hybrid drive is a small solid-state drive and a separate mechanical hard drive linked by software. The "split' is due to the software losing track fo the Fusion connection.

An EtreCheck report is primarily intended to safely display system condition to other forums helpers. It cannot repair a disk. You have seen one report; the senior contributors have interpreted hundreds or more and may see something that does not appear significant to you. This user-contributed tip does a nice job of how to overcomes forum software limitations and successfullypost the report here:

How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

First Aid report on iMac 21.5" 4K, 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.