You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selecting the right adapter for connecting Mac to monitor

I have a MacBook Air (13 inch, early 2014). I need to make sure that I order the right cord to connect it to an external monitor -- an LG 27BL85U with several types of input ports (looks like HDMI, USB-C, USB-A. The specs page for my laptop says (see below for pasted text) that I should buy a "third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter," but I'm not sure which precise adapter will definitely fit my laptop. Would appreciate guidance on this. Thank you!

Thunderbolt digital video output

• Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • HDMI audio and video output using third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (sold separately)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 1:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 2:18 PM

The adaptor (to HDMI) is this one:

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/HHLN2ZM/B

The store also carries Mini Display Port -to- HDMI cables as well.

(FYI, the Thuderbolt 2 on your laptop used the “Mini Display Port” physical plug style)

That said, I’m unsure if your laptop has sufficient “uumph” to drive that 4k monitor; at least at the higher resolutions. 🤔

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 14, 2021 2:18 PM in response to Delinrt

The adaptor (to HDMI) is this one:

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/HHLN2ZM/B

The store also carries Mini Display Port -to- HDMI cables as well.

(FYI, the Thuderbolt 2 on your laptop used the “Mini Display Port” physical plug style)

That said, I’m unsure if your laptop has sufficient “uumph” to drive that 4k monitor; at least at the higher resolutions. 🤔

Selecting the right adapter for connecting Mac to monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.