You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Updates for iMac mid-2010

Appears my iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 can't update to Catalina or any of the security updates for that OS, let alone current versions. Is there any method for updating/adding components to allow newer OS on my aging iMac, which is still beautiful, clean and a darn solid machine with lots of memory.

Is there a risk that in its current platform that I could get a nasty virus, even worse a spyware infiltration that will steal my digital footprint? If yes, what's my next step...wipe & sell it for parts?

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 3:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 4:38 PM

Very supportive…I appreciate your good words. I didnt realize that all spyware hackers confine themselves to big players…even if they decide to hit randomly all my bookmarks are pw protected w firewalls on the most interesting.

3 replies

Sep 14, 2021 3:46 PM in response to vesta822

You're right that the 2010 iMac cannot be upgraded beyond 10.13.6 High Sierra.

But that shouldn't trouble you too much.

There still are no viruses in the wild on Macs. And you'll just have to remain vigilant about the sites you visit and the software you download to remain safe from from malware/adware.

And as for the spyware... I think you and I, my friend, are very likely too small fry to be much of a target for the real bad guys. They really like high profile, high reward targets.

So keep using your mac until you decide it's time to retire it, whenever that might be. It's still a great machine.

Security Updates for iMac mid-2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.