You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch and Fitness App: Swim inaccuracies at distance calculation

I have recognized that my Apple Watch Series 4 does not calculate the distance appropriately (free water). I found out this has been troubled many people but these conversations are now closed. But the problem still exists.

One helpful answer has been to restart both devices (watch & phone) reset the activity calibration. After that the watch collected distance data which seemed to be correct, or merely correct in comparison to the former state (62m vs. 0,45 km). But today the problem came back, even with moving my arm above water level the measurement has been totally wrong (75m or so).

Am I the only one with this problem?

Apple Watch, watchOS 4

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 5:57 AM

5 replies

Sep 16, 2021 9:13 AM in response to wider-spider

Hello wider-spider,

We workout too and understand the importance of the distance, calories, etc. being correct.

You mentioned restarting both devices fixed the issue for a while. Did you restart again, and this time it was not corrected?

What watchOS is installed? The latest version is watchOS 7.6.2. Update your Apple Watch. And the current iOS version is 14.8. Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If this continues after restarting and updating, you will want to reach out to Apple Support by going to Get Support.

Take care!

Watch and Fitness App: Swim inaccuracies at distance calculation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.