You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade

Buying 2014 Mac Mini with Sierra, what is the newest operating system available for upgrade?

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 8:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 11:13 AM

Yes you can! I can't post links to ads but if you check on the net you'll find the solution. You need 2 thing:

1) a support with slot for the nvme ssd that can be Apple's (you need to change a component inside the mini and replace it with the one with the nvme slot - see attached picture). If I'm not wrong you can also find supports that just plugs into a little socket nearby the wi-fi card on the actual mb. These are not Apple original.

2) an nvme ssd compatibile with Macs (needs a specific firmware). Be careful when purchasing.

In the picture a mini with the nvme slot. As already said not all they have it.

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2021 11:13 AM in response to bobcollard

Yes you can! I can't post links to ads but if you check on the net you'll find the solution. You need 2 thing:

1) a support with slot for the nvme ssd that can be Apple's (you need to change a component inside the mini and replace it with the one with the nvme slot - see attached picture). If I'm not wrong you can also find supports that just plugs into a little socket nearby the wi-fi card on the actual mb. These are not Apple original.

2) an nvme ssd compatibile with Macs (needs a specific firmware). Be careful when purchasing.

In the picture a mini with the nvme slot. As already said not all they have it.

Sep 21, 2021 6:47 PM in response to majortom1967

Thanks again for all the advice. I finally got the computer and love it, slow but working. After thinking about it I upgraded to Catalina. Not sorry, I have some Tools on order, have two 500GB SSD SATA drives left from my PC and will clone one for the Mini to replace the Slow HD and use the other in an external drive for backup, much faster that the TB External HD I am using now. This is great, it upgraded and did not lose any of my installed APPs or my data. I have an external DVD drive as well and my Epson Printer is now working too.

PS: Don't ask me how long it took to upgrade to Catalina. LOL

Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.