You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I use CleanMyMacX to uninstal an app?

I want to uninstall the Spotify App completely. I am a little hesitant to uninstall it manually and make mistakes. I have heard that the App "CleanMyMacX" will uninstall it. But, I don't want to use it if it is not a good app to download. Is it advisable to use this uninstall tool, or should I use another, or is it better to manually remove the Spotify App?

Any advice is appreciated....

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 3:00 PM

11 replies

Sep 16, 2021 6:44 AM in response to karlssongunvor

karlssongunvor wrote:

is there any uninstall app or cleaner that is reliable? I mean are uninstall apps generally not thought of as a good way to uninstall a software? Is it better to manually uninstall a program? I do wish to completely remove the app from the computer.

As noted above, you should unistall software according to the developer's directions. There are occasional circumstances where apps are not well designed and are hard to get rid of properly (Chrome is a good example). But, if you're primarily installing apps from the App Store, you should be fine just deleting them.

See also:

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Sep 17, 2021 5:00 PM in response to karlssongunvor

AppCleaner works well on apps that are the only app installed from the same developer. See the warning below. I use it all the time to remove apps I test and then want to get rid of.

WARNING: If you use AppCleaner on an app that you have other apps from the same developer, like Adobe, you must be extremely careful checking all checkboxes and deleting.  Some for those files may support other apps from the same developer and deleting them can mess them up.  Adobe apps is a primary example. I know from experience.  For singular apps from a developer it's safe.

Sep 16, 2021 2:24 AM in response to Jack-19

is there any uninstall app or cleaner that is reliable? I mean are uninstall apps generally not thought of as a good way to uninstall a software? Is it better to manually uninstall a program? I do wish to completely remove the app from the computer.

I had read that manually uninstalling is not a good idea because the files deleted may be used in some other capacity in the computer. I don't want to tamper with the information that's there, just want the software out.

Would it be considered better if I just left all the extra files, and drag the Spotify ikon to the trash. It might leave files behind, but maybe it's. best not to disturb things by manually deleting files....

What is your opinion?

Should I use CleanMyMacX to uninstal an app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.