You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Over 130 Gb in the Other category of storage! on my 250 Gb hard drive???

I have over 130 Gb in the Other category of storage! I just updated to Big Sur 11.6, and have only 14 Gb left on my 250 Gb hard drive, MacBook Pro 2016. I live in a rural area, where internet is 4 mb dnload & 0.4 upload. I have deleted caches, downloads, history files, moved photos and music and backups to external drives, and I can't really use iCloud with my slow internet speeds. If I back up, do the wipe it clean as for sale, and start from backup, will I still get all the junk in Other again????

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 11:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 3:18 PM

I googled the file name map.gmail.com and found this- from 2018 thread on this forum!

You would be safe to delete all those logs.

Disable log connection activity

macos - Huge Apple Mail Logs (Connection Logging Enabled) - Ask Different

I just deleted the logs and now have 110 GB freed up!

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 16, 2021 2:03 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the references, Grant. I dug deeper and found the biggest file is buried deep- the path is Mail.app/Library/containers/Mail/data/library/logs/mail/imap.gmail.com-1B222053-F4AE-4056-81A5-08931116A97B.txt

the text file is 92 GB!!!

Would the world crash if I just deleted the file? Would Google still download my email again? Any ideas??? I am bad at deleting old emails, but this txt file seems ridiculous when I can still get gmail from google, right???

Over 130 Gb in the Other category of storage! on my 250 Gb hard drive???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.