You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook won't recognize my external monitor

My vga to thunderbolt adapter works fine with my 2013 MacBook but when I plug into my 2020 MacBook using a thunderbolt 2 to usb-c adaptor my computer won’t recognize my external monitor. So I need an updated adapter or something?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 1:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 8:39 PM

Your old adapter is Mini DisplayPort to VGA, not Thunderbolt to VGA. It works with your 2013 laptop because computer Thunderbolt/2 ports are compatible with Mini DisplayPort. The Thunderbolt 3 adapter is not.

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

"This adapter is not compatible with displays that use DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort, such as the Apple LED Cinema Display. Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 are not the same as Mini DisplayPort, though the ports have the same shape."

You need a USB-C to VGA adapter, such as:

https://www.startech.com/audio-video-products/cdp2vga

"Thunderbolt 3 port compatible"

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2021 8:39 PM in response to c skreet

Your old adapter is Mini DisplayPort to VGA, not Thunderbolt to VGA. It works with your 2013 laptop because computer Thunderbolt/2 ports are compatible with Mini DisplayPort. The Thunderbolt 3 adapter is not.

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

"This adapter is not compatible with displays that use DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort, such as the Apple LED Cinema Display. Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 are not the same as Mini DisplayPort, though the ports have the same shape."

You need a USB-C to VGA adapter, such as:

https://www.startech.com/audio-video-products/cdp2vga

"Thunderbolt 3 port compatible"

My MacBook won't recognize my external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.