You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happened to the files that were on the desktop of my new mac mini after migrating my old MacBook pro to it?

what happened to the files that were on the desktop of my new mac mini after migrating my old MacBook pro to it?

MacBook Pro 17″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 5:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 5:57 PM

Sounds like maybe you Migrated from the MacBook Pro after you setup Mac Mini.

If you did that, then now have two User Accounts on the Mac Mini. The new one that you initially setup and the old one that you Migrated from the MacBook Pro.

If that is the case and you want one account, then you need to decide which User you want to keep. Then manually move the /Users/Shared Folder Files from the unwanted account to the /Users/Shared Folder of the wanted account, then delete the unwanted User account.

An second option, is to just live with two User Accounts on the Mac Mini.

A third option involves wiping the Mac Mini and starting over.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2021 5:57 PM in response to Hdsrv

Sounds like maybe you Migrated from the MacBook Pro after you setup Mac Mini.

If you did that, then now have two User Accounts on the Mac Mini. The new one that you initially setup and the old one that you Migrated from the MacBook Pro.

If that is the case and you want one account, then you need to decide which User you want to keep. Then manually move the /Users/Shared Folder Files from the unwanted account to the /Users/Shared Folder of the wanted account, then delete the unwanted User account.

An second option, is to just live with two User Accounts on the Mac Mini.

A third option involves wiping the Mac Mini and starting over.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.