You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Previous apps keep wanting to doenload

i Often download and try different games, if I don’t like it, I delete it. But some of these games (Asphalt 8 is one of them) are trying to download even though I’m not wanting to. I don’t have automatic download on. What can I do to stop them from downloading? I press cancel download but then they would sometimes retry to download themselves.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 8:46 PM

5 replies

Sep 17, 2021 9:40 PM in response to AverageMac_User

verageMac_User Said:

"This problem occurred when I was updating apps on my phone, such as google docs etc. But this problem has also occurred when factory resetting my phone.[...]"

-------

What to Try:

New iCloud Session:

So, resetting it to Factory Settings, this still tries to download? Log out of iCloud, and see if this all stops.

Caches Getting in the Way:

Clear "Other": Clear the storage named "Other". It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips. Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use.

Set Up your iPhone Anew:

Use this Site: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support. Erase all content from your device. Then start it anew. It would come to the startup screen. Proceed from there with the login. Contact your carrier, if need be.

Sep 17, 2021 9:07 PM in response to AverageMac_User

AverageMac_User Said:

"Previous apps keep wanting to doenload: i Often download and try different games, if I don’t like it, I delete it. But some of these games (Asphalt 8 is one of them) are trying to download even though I’m not wanting to. I don’t have automatic download on. What can I do to stop them from downloading? I press cancel download but then they would sometimes retry to download themselves."

-------

Try the Following:

Restart your iPhone. Then, Remove it.

Manually Restarting your iPhone:

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Select: General
  3. Scroll to: the Very Bottom
  4. Select: Shut Down
  5. Slide Finger: to the Right
  6. Wait: 30 Seconds
  7. Power One: the iPhone
  8. Try this Once More

Removing the iTem:

Hold you finger down on the icon, and then tap the white (i) that pops up. It will be deleted.

Sep 17, 2021 9:15 PM in response to TheLittles

This problem occurred when I was updating apps on my phone, such as google docs etc. But this problem has also occurred when factory resetting my phone. Once in awhile, I like to reset my phone to start fresh. I do not back up my phone, and factory reset. I set it up as if brand new(there should be no downloaded apps other than the ones predownloaded such as calculator etc). But when I’m done setting it up(all I do is input my iCloud account so that my photos are saved), the same 2 games are trying to download.

Previous apps keep wanting to doenload

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.