You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing icon results in generic PNG icon

I'm trying to change the icon on a folder on my MacBook Pro. I copy (Edit>Copy) the image I want to replace the folder icon with, select "Get Info" on the folder, select the icon at the top left of the window and then click "Edit>Paste."

Instead of changing to the picture I want, however, the folder icon changes to a generic PNG or JPG icon. I have restarted my computer, tried different folders and pictures, but nothing seems to help.

How can I fix this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 6:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 1:03 PM

Hey there nicolaj-b,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with changing an icon for a folder on your MacBook Pro, and we'd be happy to look into what's going on.

To get started, were you following the steps listed in this resource on how to change the icon: Change icons for files or folders on Mac - Apple Support

If so, are you copying an image using the Preview app? If you are, with the photo opened try clicking Edit > Select All, then Edit > Copy. From there right click the folder you want to change the icon and select "Get info", click the icon in the top left corner, and then click Edit > Paste.

Let us know if that's able to help.

Take care!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 19, 2021 1:03 PM in response to nicolaj-b

Hey there nicolaj-b,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with changing an icon for a folder on your MacBook Pro, and we'd be happy to look into what's going on.

To get started, were you following the steps listed in this resource on how to change the icon: Change icons for files or folders on Mac - Apple Support

If so, are you copying an image using the Preview app? If you are, with the photo opened try clicking Edit > Select All, then Edit > Copy. From there right click the folder you want to change the icon and select "Get info", click the icon in the top left corner, and then click Edit > Paste.

Let us know if that's able to help.

Take care!

Changing icon results in generic PNG icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.