You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I connect a 2011 iMac to a 2020 iMac?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 10:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 10:24 AM

What do you want the connection to do? Share files? Share the screen? Makes a big difference in our recommendations.

You cannot use Target Display Mode (TDM), where an iMac becomes an external display for another Mac, because the 2020 iMac is too new. See the TDM system requirements here:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

TDM is deprecated technology. You should be able to use network screen sharing but it will be slower:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

That does not require special cabling.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 19, 2021 10:24 AM in response to YAGOM

What do you want the connection to do? Share files? Share the screen? Makes a big difference in our recommendations.

You cannot use Target Display Mode (TDM), where an iMac becomes an external display for another Mac, because the 2020 iMac is too new. See the TDM system requirements here:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

TDM is deprecated technology. You should be able to use network screen sharing but it will be slower:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

That does not require special cabling.

Sep 20, 2021 7:25 AM in response to YAGOM

Target Display Mode is dead, please read Target Display Mode (Target Display Mode) and you will see that the 2020 is incapable of Target Display Mode. No there is not a work around. If your 2020 iMac needs an external display, the fastest, easiest and least expensive and most reliable method is to buy an external display. You can easily find one for about $100.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.