You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vehicle Macbook Pro charging

Can I charge my Macbook Pro directly from the USB-C outlet in my van without damaging the laptop?

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 10:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 8:19 AM

marian102 wrote:

Can I charge my Macbook Pro directly from the USB-C outlet in my van without damaging the laptop?

Some vehicles have a 110 v outlet for the magsafe adapter plug in...

USBC sound like it is for your iPhone and at best would be 20watt— no damage however this would be nearly impossible to charge your Notebook. For example the 2019 MBP 16" 96W USB-C Power Adapter

Look at your owners manual for your exact vehicle specs—here there would be pertinent information

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 25, 2021 8:19 AM in response to marian102

marian102 wrote:

Some vehicles have a 110 v outlet for the magsafe adapter plug in...

USBC sound like it is for your iPhone and at best would be 20watt— no damage however this would be nearly impossible to charge your Notebook. For example the 2019 MBP 16" 96W USB-C Power Adapter

Look at your owners manual for your exact vehicle specs—here there would be pertinent information

Sep 25, 2021 8:56 AM in response to marian102

as leroydouglas indicates, the default 5 Volt USB charging of up to 0.500 Amps would not make fast forward progress in charging your MacBook Pro. That is only about 2.5 Watts.

MacBook Pro uses "USB Power Delivery Protocol" with a smart charger to negotiate 20 Volt levels and up to 5 Amps charging current. (closer to 100 Watts)

110 Volt outlet and your existing smart charger is the best way to make progress.

Vehicle Macbook Pro charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.