You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iTunes Match function to back up all my music files to the cloud?

If I subscribe to iTunes Match, and my hard drive burns up, will all my music be available for download again?

Related: If I subscribe to iTunes Match will all the songs stored on my hard drive stay on hard drive, so that I can access them without internet access?

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 12:55 PM

Apple Music/ iTunes Match are not advertised as back up services. You are reliant on Apple providing a service whilst you have an active subscription. If for whatever reason your subscription expires, Apple does not keep your music indefinitely, usually only up to 30 days after expiry. You are also reliant on the Apple servers being available.

Multiple backup drives should be considered. I personally use time machine but I have additional back up drives.

Jim

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2021 12:55 PM in response to Arandel

Apple Music/ iTunes Match are not advertised as back up services. You are reliant on Apple providing a service whilst you have an active subscription. If for whatever reason your subscription expires, Apple does not keep your music indefinitely, usually only up to 30 days after expiry. You are also reliant on the Apple servers being available.

Multiple backup drives should be considered. I personally use time machine but I have additional back up drives.

Jim

Sep 22, 2021 10:23 AM in response to Arandel

Hi,

iTunes Match is not a backup service. Whilst it is true that you would be able to redownload your library from iTunes Match, it does not replace a good backup on an external hard drive.

The music on your hard drive is not altered by iTunes Match unless you opt to remove the original and download load a matched version. This is useful if you tracks have a bit rate lower than 256 Kbps.

Jim

Does iTunes Match function to back up all my music files to the cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.