You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stereo HomePods are failing to connect to my AppleTV 4K

I have two HomePods connected in stereo mode and are accessible to my Apple TV 4K. They've been working since I owned them, but recently my AppleTV started to fail to connect and play audio through them, I get an error saying that my HomePods failed to connect.

I removed the HomePods from my Home app and reassigned them and they continue to fail to connect with my AppleTV. I can play music on them from my iPhone but they just won't connect to my AppleTV, they show up as a selection but when I select them the audio continues to play from my TV and after a few minutes I get a message saying HomePods failed to connect.

How do I get my Apple TV audio to play through my HomePods again?

AppleTV OS: 15.0

HomePods Left OS: 15.0

HomePods Right OS: 15.0

iOS: 15.0

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 10:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 8:42 PM

Make sure everything is signed into the same Apple ID and connected to the same home wifi network

Try these steps:

Reboot your wifi

On the Apple TV in settings - Users Accounts- your name - iCloud- sign out. 

Change the default audio to tv speakers

Restart Apple TV

then sign back in. 

Set up AirPlay & HomeKit again on the ATV

Change the default audio back to HomePods

If it persists, Restart HomePods: Open the Home App - Long press on the HomePod icon to bring up settings, scroll down to the gear icon, tap that, scroll to the bottom to Reset HomePod - then select Restart HomePod 

• Connection issues can be attributed to the Apple ID and Internet connection.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2021 8:42 PM in response to tissuebox

Make sure everything is signed into the same Apple ID and connected to the same home wifi network

Try these steps:

Reboot your wifi

On the Apple TV in settings - Users Accounts- your name - iCloud- sign out. 

Change the default audio to tv speakers

Restart Apple TV

then sign back in. 

Set up AirPlay & HomeKit again on the ATV

Change the default audio back to HomePods

If it persists, Restart HomePods: Open the Home App - Long press on the HomePod icon to bring up settings, scroll down to the gear icon, tap that, scroll to the bottom to Reset HomePod - then select Restart HomePod 

• Connection issues can be attributed to the Apple ID and Internet connection.

Stereo HomePods are failing to connect to my AppleTV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.