You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t drag and drop or import music to Apple music

I have spent hours reading threads with no luck. I cannot drag and drop or find anyway to move an MP Music file from the "music folder", in finder to my apple Music folders. The song is highlighted in red when I drag and drop. The folder I try to drop it in is highlighted in red. No error message of any type comes up saying it cannot be done.

I have apple music preferences set to Manually manage music.

I see others have had issues with this but cannot see any responses to explain or resolve.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 2:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 12:01 PM

The MP3 files are in my music folder. I cannot drag or import them into the apple music app, which use to be the old iTunes app where you create and organize into playlists. This was an option in the past. This is where I am suggesting something changed to prevent users from moving their own music files into apple music as they want you to buy from them or use their apple music app.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 24, 2021 12:01 PM in response to Eric--F

The MP3 files are in my music folder. I cannot drag or import them into the apple music app, which use to be the old iTunes app where you create and organize into playlists. This was an option in the past. This is where I am suggesting something changed to prevent users from moving their own music files into apple music as they want you to buy from them or use their apple music app.

Sep 23, 2021 5:54 PM in response to Mymusic57

Greetings, Mymusic57.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We can understand why you’d want to know how to drag and drop tunes into Music. 

Check out: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac

Tip: You can also drag a file or folder from the Finder to the Music window to import it.

By default, Music places a copy of each audio file in the Music folder (Home/Music/Music) and leaves the original file in the current location. For information about adding an alias to the file (instead of creating a copy), see Change where your music files are stored.

When you import an item by dragging it to the Music window or choosing File > Add To Library or File > Import, a reference (or “pointer”) to the item—not the item itself—is placed in the Music folder. You might not be able to play the song if you move it.”

We hope this helps! Thanks for being a part of the community.

Sincerely.

Can’t drag and drop or import music to Apple music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.