You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logitech Combo Keyboard Space Key Issue

Upon upgrading to PadOS15, the space bar and cursor keys stopped working on the external keyboard unless I press the shift key at the same time. This problem appears when I'm typing in a text field, like this one. (I have had to hold the shift key and press space between every word.) This problem does not appear when using the onscreen keyboard. Often, the space key seems to act as a Tab key, taking the focus to another part of the screen.

The cursor keys do not work at all, unless holding the shift key. But that only selects text. Imagine how frustrating this situation is.

I have rebooted many times. I tried reinstalling the Logitech firmware app. No luck.

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 4:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 1:09 PM

The default settings under Accessibility > Full Keyboard Access > Commands shows that the Activate command was mapped to the Space key. When I cleared that value, the problem disappeared.

I then decided to reset all the commands to default values to see what would happen. That action returned the Space key to the Activate command. The problem returned. When I removed it again, the problem disappeared.

Thanks for the tip, but I had never changed any of these settings. I wonder if the PadOS 15 upgrate set the default command for Activate to Space. It may be idiosyncratic to me, but I'd be interested if others had this issue.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2021 1:09 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

The default settings under Accessibility > Full Keyboard Access > Commands shows that the Activate command was mapped to the Space key. When I cleared that value, the problem disappeared.

I then decided to reset all the commands to default values to see what would happen. That action returned the Space key to the Activate command. The problem returned. When I removed it again, the problem disappeared.

Thanks for the tip, but I had never changed any of these settings. I wonder if the PadOS 15 upgrate set the default command for Activate to Space. It may be idiosyncratic to me, but I'd be interested if others had this issue.

Sep 23, 2021 2:09 PM in response to dpotenziani

dpotenziani wrote:

It is not uncommon for users to find that iOS upgrades do strange, undesired things to accessibility settings. Another one often seen here is turning on Mouse Keys, which makes 789uiojkl inactive for typing. Why this happens I have no idea.

Logitech Combo Keyboard Space Key Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.