You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optimizing storage and photo editing

When you optimize storage of the photos on your phone what happens when you want to edit a photo? Does a full-resolution photo download from iCloud for you to edit or are you editing a highly compressed photo?

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 3:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 9:04 AM

Sharon_419, thank you so much for taking the time to answer, but I'm still confused. Let me clarify my question. If I optimize storage of my photos on my iPhone, the iPhone stores photos at low resolution. If I edit a photo on my iPhone and save it, is it saved as a low resolution photo on my iPhone and across all devices? Also, how would I get a high resolution photo down from the cloud to print it in high resolution?

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2021 9:04 AM in response to Sharon_419

Sharon_419, thank you so much for taking the time to answer, but I'm still confused. Let me clarify my question. If I optimize storage of my photos on my iPhone, the iPhone stores photos at low resolution. If I edit a photo on my iPhone and save it, is it saved as a low resolution photo on my iPhone and across all devices? Also, how would I get a high resolution photo down from the cloud to print it in high resolution?

Sep 26, 2021 7:52 AM in response to JohnP9260

Hello JohnP9260.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see that you have questions about editing photos and videos with Optimized Storage turned on for iCloud Photos. We will be glad to assist.

Please see the following:

"What happens when you edit or delete photos

Your photos and videos are stored in iCloud in their original formats at full resolution. This includes HEIF, JPEG, RAW, PNG, GIF, TIFF, HEVC, and MP4 as well as special formats you capture with your iPhone or iPad, like slo-mo, time-lapse, 4K videos, and Live Photos. The photos and videos you capture with these devices are in HEIF and HEVC format. When you edit or delete photos or videos, it's reflected across all of your devices.

Edits show up on all of your devices

When you make edits in the Photos app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch or on your Mac, the photo automatically updates across all your devices, including your Apple TV. So when you crop or enhance a photo from your iPhone, you see the changes when you access your library from your Mac. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and you can go back to them at any time, and revert any changes you made."

Set up and use iCloud Photos

Cheers.

Optimizing storage and photo editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.