You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod 7th Gen Update

My iPod 7th Gen isn’t giving me the latest update, it’s says iSO 12.5.5 is the latest update. There is a way to manually update using your MAC computer which I don’t have. Any advice?

iPod, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 3:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 4:37 AM

A 7th generation iPod Touch should be on iOS 13, or later, by now. Perhaps you have a 6th generation iPod touch, which is not capable of using iOS 13 or later.

On your iPod, if you go into Settings/General/About, what does it say under Model Name? You may not be able to see all of the text, but on my iPod it says iPod touch (6th ge...

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2021 4:37 AM in response to dorsey123

A 7th generation iPod Touch should be on iOS 13, or later, by now. Perhaps you have a 6th generation iPod touch, which is not capable of using iOS 13 or later.

On your iPod, if you go into Settings/General/About, what does it say under Model Name? You may not be able to see all of the text, but on my iPod it says iPod touch (6th ge...

Sep 26, 2021 11:22 AM in response to the fiend

Ah! Just seen your post about Audible.

I never understand this:

• an app developer rushes to make their app work only with the latest version of iOS
    • anyone without access to that latest version (such as those who cannot afford to buy a replacement iPod at the drop of a hat) can no longer use their app
    • developer loses customers
    • Duh!

It's not as if they can claim it's a security issue; as I mentioned previously iOS 12.5.5 and many of it's predecessors served only as security updates.

Sep 26, 2021 11:18 AM in response to dorsey123

Okay, that's sorted then.

FYI, the 6th generation iPod Touch simply isn't powerful enough to run iOS13 or later. Apple have made it clear that the 6th gen Touch will never be able to update to iOS 13. That said, that model still receives updates, in the 12.x.x range; iOS 12.5.5 was released only three days ago. It will have been a security update. There have been no recent feature updates for it, nor are there are unlikely to be any in the future.

My iPod 7th Gen Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.