You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there any differences between Apple TV 4K (2017) & Apple TV 4K (2021) in terms of Audio Codecs support?

Does the new model (Apple Tv 4k 2021) encode Dolby Atmos in Dolby TrueHD or is it still working with Dolby MAT 2.0 ? With A12 processor on board compared to the old A10X , are there any difference in terms of Sound Quality or Audio Processing between the two Apple TV 4k models ?

I wish Apple could have given an option for bitstream pass-though over HDMI from the Apple TV 4K.

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 1:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 9:50 AM

Apple TV 4K (1st generation) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Both output Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT 2.0 format. (Xbox One X/S does the same.) See if support for that is brought by a firmware update for your audio system.

Apple unveils the next generation of Apple TV 4K - Apple

The HDMI 2.1 port and faster chip on the Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) facilitates more bandwidth and more image processing, which also allows new features. E.g. high frame rate HDR, and eARC from TV back to HomePods.

I wish …

Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2021 9:50 AM in response to Mr.Miracle

Apple TV 4K (1st generation) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Both output Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT 2.0 format. (Xbox One X/S does the same.) See if support for that is brought by a firmware update for your audio system.

Apple unveils the next generation of Apple TV 4K - Apple

The HDMI 2.1 port and faster chip on the Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) facilitates more bandwidth and more image processing, which also allows new features. E.g. high frame rate HDR, and eARC from TV back to HomePods.

I wish …

Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Sep 27, 2021 11:49 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks !

Was thinking of upgrading from the Old Apple TV 4K to the new one .

Anyways aside from the better Video Benefits , there is not much in the audio department that I can benefit in my current home theatre configuration.

i will wait until a new model of the same would be launched ,

or maybe Apple would unlock some benefits through a software/firmware update .

Eagerly Waiting for them to give support to full High-res Lossless Apple Music on Apple TV.

and Thanks for the Feedback form , would pass my message to them .

Are there any differences between Apple TV 4K (2017) & Apple TV 4K (2021) in terms of Audio Codecs support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.