You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Customizing headers and footers

I wrote my novel in Pages, and am formatting for publication now. One thing I need to do is not show the header on the pages where a chapter starts. The footer needs to stay, since it has the page number. Is this possible?

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 3:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 1:54 AM

Hi Tom,

I assume that you've discovered Document Panel > Section >Headers and Footers > Hide on first page of section. You can't hide the Header and show the Footer.

The good news is that you can insert a Text Box and insert an automatic page number (Menu > Insert > Page Number).

Format Panel > Text > Align left, centre or right to match the alignment in whichever field the page numbers are in the Footer.

Format Panel > Arrange > Stay on Page and drag to the hidden Footer on the first page of the chapter.

To help position the Text Box, Menu > View > Show Layout, and Menu > View > Show Rulers.

Please call back with questions.

Regards,

Ian.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2021 1:54 AM in response to Tom Dearing

Hi Tom,

I assume that you've discovered Document Panel > Section >Headers and Footers > Hide on first page of section. You can't hide the Header and show the Footer.

The good news is that you can insert a Text Box and insert an automatic page number (Menu > Insert > Page Number).

Format Panel > Text > Align left, centre or right to match the alignment in whichever field the page numbers are in the Footer.

Format Panel > Arrange > Stay on Page and drag to the hidden Footer on the first page of the chapter.

To help position the Text Box, Menu > View > Show Layout, and Menu > View > Show Rulers.

Please call back with questions.

Regards,

Ian.

Customizing headers and footers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.