You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video shot with Camera App and saved in Photos not working in iMovie

I have an iPhone 12ProMax and have been shooting video using the Camera app. The videos are viewable in Photos and Quicktime. They have the extension .mov (and are being shot in 4K). When I try to make a movie using iMovie (v.10.2.5) the video clip shows in my Media tab but when I try to play it, only the audio is available, the video is a black screen. I am having to convert all of the files to an .mp4 extension which is long and painful. Is there a Camera setting that I can adjust so that both the audio and video taken with my phone is available without conversion in iMovie? Seems that this is defeating the point of using an Apple environment for shooting video and basic editing in iMovie.

Thank you in advance.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 2:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 7:06 PM

To rule out a format issue, as a test try shooting a clip in HD instead of 4k, and see if it will play in iMovie without conversion. Also, if your 4k is 4k 60, that might be the cause, as iMovie supports only 4k 30.

I don't have an iPhone 12 ProMax, so not knowledgeable of what format settings may be available.

You can try restarting your computer or deleting preferences, and see if that cures it. To delete preferences, open iMovie

while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Placing your media into a new project sometimes can cure issues that might be confined to just one project.

You can also try opening iMovie in a new library. Open iMovie while holding down the Option key.

-- Rich

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2021 7:06 PM in response to Mudwasp73

To rule out a format issue, as a test try shooting a clip in HD instead of 4k, and see if it will play in iMovie without conversion. Also, if your 4k is 4k 60, that might be the cause, as iMovie supports only 4k 30.

I don't have an iPhone 12 ProMax, so not knowledgeable of what format settings may be available.

You can try restarting your computer or deleting preferences, and see if that cures it. To delete preferences, open iMovie

while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Placing your media into a new project sometimes can cure issues that might be confined to just one project.

You can also try opening iMovie in a new library. Open iMovie while holding down the Option key.

-- Rich

-- Rich

Video shot with Camera App and saved in Photos not working in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.