You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Single Page View for Preview on iPad

I've tried to get this issue solved with Apple support but they apparently didn't know what to do either so I'm gonna try it here:

I'm trying to use preview on my iPad for PDF slideshow presentations where I can also write notes with my pencil. The solution should be really simple: Change the presentation view from continuous scroll to single page view (as is possible on Mac) and edit slides/ add slides for notes where needed. The only issue is that I could not find any view settings for iPad. There are actually no settings at all.

From browsing other PadOS related issues , I understand that PadOS is different from MacOS and that not everything can be simply implemented. But surely it shouldn't be impossible to switch to single page view on iPad. There are actually third party apps out there that do that for iPad but that lack other capabilities/ design features that preview has.

I'm hoping I'm missing something and someone can point me towards how I can switch to single page view on iPad. If this doesn't exist, I really have to ask why? It seems like Apple simply ignored the fact that some people use PDFs for presentations rather than power point slides and completely missed out on providing proper documentation for preview on PadOS.

Features like this are actually really important as we present more things virtually and need solutions for virtual whiteboard. The comment/ annotation capabilities for preview are actually quite ideal for that (much better than zoom's whiteboard tool!). And if you're wondering why people use PDF slides instead of ppt's, try writing down algebra on PowerPoint.

Thanks!

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 6:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 4:36 AM

You can use the Books app.

• If using the Files app for PDF previews, use the share menu to send a copy to Books. Open the PDF. If no toolbar is showing, tap the page to display it. Tap , then switch off Vertical Scrolling. Tap the page to toggle presentation and toolbar modes.

• In presentation or toolbar mode, swipe left or right to go to the next page. In toolbar mode, use the thumbnail bar at the bottom for quick navigation.

• To write or draw on a PDF page, tap the Markup button in the toolbar. To add a highlight to text, touch and hold on text, drag the selection handles, then tap Highlight.

• Double-tap the page to zoom in or out, or use a two-finger pinch or spread gesture. Use one finger to pan.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 30, 2021 4:36 AM in response to PaulWohlf

You can use the Books app.

• If using the Files app for PDF previews, use the share menu to send a copy to Books. Open the PDF. If no toolbar is showing, tap the page to display it. Tap , then switch off Vertical Scrolling. Tap the page to toggle presentation and toolbar modes.

• In presentation or toolbar mode, swipe left or right to go to the next page. In toolbar mode, use the thumbnail bar at the bottom for quick navigation.

• To write or draw on a PDF page, tap the Markup button in the toolbar. To add a highlight to text, touch and hold on text, drag the selection handles, then tap Highlight.

• Double-tap the page to zoom in or out, or use a two-finger pinch or spread gesture. Use one finger to pan.

Oct 6, 2021 3:14 AM in response to PaulWohlf

Your workflow is personal and tools need to function the way you like to use them. One suggestion though, if you wish to revisit using single page view in Books, is to add x number of blank pages at the end of the PDF or after each page in the PDF before sharing to Books. If blank pages are interspersed, one is always available with a swipe or bypassed with two swipes. If blank pages are at the end, they can be navigated to either from the thumbnail bar or the all pages view.

I agree that there needs to be harmonization of functions for previews regardless of app.

You can submit product suggestions to Apple at https://www.apple.com/feedback/.

Oct 5, 2021 5:33 PM in response to Roote

I revisited this problem and unfortunately the solution does not solve the problem: I can use single page view in books for PDF but editing capabilities are actually limited compared to preview. One important difference is that I could not find an option to add blank PDF pages. But this is really important because it would essentially allow me to add individual "whiteboard pages" to my presentation. This really would allow me to do presentations on an iPad in the same way I would in a classroom or at a conference. At the moment I'm back to continuous scroll and preview because of the lack of this functionality in books.

What I do not understand is why these limitations exist? It seems to me that having single page view on preview should be simple to implement -- other PDF viewers and books have it, so it shouldn't be down to PadOS issues. Equally, one can insert pages to a PDF on PadOS, so why can't books. The way I see it, for this problem Apple has created two incomplete PDF viewers. Maybe I'm missing something, but if not this should really be fixed!

Single Page View for Preview on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.