You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect 10.6.8 to wifi

I would like to connect my old MacBook running OS 10.6.8 to the internet via WiFi - how can I do that?

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 3:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 8:14 PM

Edward Cox wrote:

The MacBook is a late 2008, 13", Aluminium UniBody, 5,1 – well past what Apple terms its 'vintage' stage - prehistoric even. It has been in storage since about 2014 - till this week.

Apple is no longer showing MacBook5,1, but shows MacBook (13-inch, Early 2009) - Technical Specifications, which has

• Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

You may want to set your AP/Wifi Router/Gateway for 802.11b/g compatibility and then test connecting from the MacBook.

I was hoping that, considering that it's still working quite well, it would be a simple thing to add it to the network wirelessly. It seemed that I should be able to do that, simply because the MacBook can accurately see the network - both in the System Preferences>Network; and in the System Report>Network>Airport. That seems to suggest that connecting it wirelessly to the internet is something that I should be able to wrangle/hack/finagle, or setup.

The connectivity depends on the AP and the Mac talking to each other and agreeing to connect.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. OS Lion is worth a consideration - as is a USB device. Or back into mothballs.

Upgrading the macOS version is unlikely to address any hardware limitations that MacBook may have when negotiating a connection with the WiFI network or a configuration which disallows such connections.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 2, 2021 8:14 PM in response to Edward Cox

Edward Cox wrote:

The MacBook is a late 2008, 13", Aluminium UniBody, 5,1 – well past what Apple terms its 'vintage' stage - prehistoric even. It has been in storage since about 2014 - till this week.

Apple is no longer showing MacBook5,1, but shows MacBook (13-inch, Early 2009) - Technical Specifications, which has

• Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

You may want to set your AP/Wifi Router/Gateway for 802.11b/g compatibility and then test connecting from the MacBook.

I was hoping that, considering that it's still working quite well, it would be a simple thing to add it to the network wirelessly. It seemed that I should be able to do that, simply because the MacBook can accurately see the network - both in the System Preferences>Network; and in the System Report>Network>Airport. That seems to suggest that connecting it wirelessly to the internet is something that I should be able to wrangle/hack/finagle, or setup.

The connectivity depends on the AP and the Mac talking to each other and agreeing to connect.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. OS Lion is worth a consideration - as is a USB device. Or back into mothballs.

Upgrading the macOS version is unlikely to address any hardware limitations that MacBook may have when negotiating a connection with the WiFI network or a configuration which disallows such connections.

Oct 1, 2021 6:06 AM in response to Edward Cox

Hey there, Edward Cox!

Thanks so much for using Apple Support Communities.

The best place to start here is going to be with this article: Connect your Mac to the internet using Wi-Fi. That is going to have the best steps to get started connecting your MacBook to a Wi-Fi network. If the steps there aren't helping, another good resource would be: If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi.

Between those two resources, you should be good to go but if you're having any issues, feel free to reply back here. Be sure to include additional details about the issue including any error messages that you might be receiving. Other members of the community may be able to weigh in and help you resolve this issue.

Cheers!

Oct 2, 2021 5:48 AM in response to Edward Cox

Hey, Edward Cox!

Does that same password work with your Wi-Fi network when you connect on other devices? You should definitely be able to connect to your Wi-Fi network on your MacBook. Since macOS 10.6.8 is older, you may want to look into upgrading to a newer version of macOS (if possible). This would ultimately come down to compatibility with the MacBook itself, however you can learn more right here: Mac OS X Lion Installer

Many features come down to hardware compatibility so if you're not having any luck, it could simply come down to the MacBook being considered vintage or obsolete. You can learn more about that as well: Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty

Third-party dongles and accessories are also a really good option, but we wouldn't necessarily be able to recommend a specific model.

Thanks!

Oct 2, 2021 6:56 AM in response to Edward Cox

If your Access Point does not support the radio type in your MacBook, you will not be able to connect. What is the year/model of your MacBook? Also, click on About This Mac -> More Info -> System Report -> WiFi and look at the indicated radio type.

If your AP and MacBook do not use the same supported radio and protocols, you will not be able to connect.

Oct 1, 2021 7:16 AM in response to Chris_C1

Hi Chris_C1

Thanks for your response.

I think I should clarify my query.

I am specifically hoping that I can connect my old MacBook with it’s old OS (10.6.8) to the Internet via modern Wifi. That is - not Apple’s old Airport protocol that is listed as the Wifi within the Network preferences of 10.6.8.

The frustrating aspect so far is that the Airport option sees my network (plus many that are close by), and allows me to enter my password - but I can’t go any further. I’m informed that my password is incorrect.

So - is there a work around? A way of getting OS 10.6.8 to do what I want. A USB wifi dongle or some such?

Regards, Edward

Oct 2, 2021 6:39 PM in response to 1ssmith

Hi 1ssmith

My network has been setup for around 10 years - all devices connecting as they should, the one password servicing all.

Currently, we have 1 iMac; 1 PC; 2 iPads and 2 iPhones all connecting via wifi – all working extremely well.

The MacBook is a late 2008, 13", Aluminium UniBody, 5,1 – well past what Apple terms its 'vintage' stage - prehistoric even. It has been in storage since about 2014 - till this week. I was hoping that, considering that it's still working quite well, it would be a simple thing to add it to the network wirelessly. It seemed that I should be able to do that, simply because the MacBook can accurately see the network - both in the System Preferences>Network; and in the System Report>Network>Airport. That seems to suggest that connecting it wirelessly to the internet is something that I should be able to wrangle/hack/finagle, or setup.

Regards,

Edward

Oct 2, 2021 11:58 PM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

Thanks very much - your response certainly sent me in the right direction. Now, the little old 2008 MacBook is quite successfully connected to the Australian NBN (National Broadband Network). Brilliant!

The problem was that I wasn't aware that the WPA password, is not the same as my Wifi password. Hmmmmmm……¿?¿

Your information regarding setting AP/Wifi Router/Gateway for 802.11b/g compatibility prompted me investigate more fully the settings within the various modem setup pages. Ultimately, pennies starting dropping, a bit like dominoes.

Therefore, not only is the MacBook able to connect to the NBN - I also have an understanding of the WPA password and therefore greater understanding of the inner workings of the tool we call Mac.

Thanks to all for your help and input.

Regards,

Edward

How to connect 10.6.8 to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.